The Marlborough Mound Trust

The Marlborough Mound is a large circular mound at Marlborough College, Wiltshire, with a complex history reaching back thousands of years.

The Marlborough Mound Trust was set up in the year 2000 at the suggestion of Eric Elstob (C2 1956-60) whose vision was ‘to restore, conserve, preserve and maintain the Mound at Marlborough College and its immediate curtilage as a place of historic and public interest’ and ‘to educate the public about the archaeological and historical significance and merits of the Mound’. He left a remarkable legacy which has enabled the Trust to work for twenty years on the restoration.

In Brief

ignore this one, need it here as a hack to close all menus

The Marlborough Mound is prehistoric and is part of the landscape surrounding Stonehenge. It dates from 2400-2300 BC, the same period as Silbury Hill.

After the Norman conquest of England in 1066, the Mound was reused as the motte on which the keep of Marlborough Castle stood.

It was one of the most important castles in England in the first half of the  13th century, and king John and king Henry III frequently stayed here.

The castle was neglected and fell into ruins after 1400, and the site of the castle and its lands were given to Edward Seymour, Lord Protector while Edward VI was under age, in 1549.

The Seymour family built a house next to the Mound, which was converted into a garden feature with a spiral path around 1640-50.

The grotto at the foot of the Mound was created by Lady Hertford around 1730.

The Mound has been restored over the last twenty years, by removing self-sown trees and repairing the spiral path and grotto. The work has been carried out by the Marlborough Mound Trust.

The Mound stands in the grounds of Marlborough College. Due to school security requirements there is no public access to the College or to the Mound. However, there will be specific opportunities to visit the Mound by arrangement with the College, and open days when admission will be by pre-booked tickets.