The King’s Fishpond

wp-banner-mound-history

The royal fishpond discussed in The Marlborough Mound p.106 is on the National Heritage List for England. The listing is as follows:. 

This monument, which falls into two areas, includes the dam or pond bay of the ‘King’s Bay Mead’ or ‘Great Bay’ fishpond situated in the base and across the wide valley of the River Og upstream of its confluence with the River Kennet. The dam survives as two lengths of flat topped linear bank the western section is approximately 95m long, the eastern 67m long and the bank is up to 20m wide and from 2.8m up to 4m high. Where a breach has been made by the river a modern weir and small bridge have been inserted. The fishpond was constructed in 1204 and is recorded in the Pipe Roll of King John in 1206; another document in Henry III’s reign fifty years later records its location at the confluence of the rivers Og and Kennet east of the town. The pond produced fish, not only for Marlborough but for a number of other castles and palaces in the south of England; it was probably the largest such pond in the country.

The link below is to the full entry and map on the Historic England site:

Historic listing for king’s fishpond